2014 Year in Review:
1. What did you do in 2014 that you’d never done before?
Took up archery, French, and Aikido. Started reviewing books for print media. Adopted battery hens, became a guinea pig parent. Started weight-lifting.
2. Did you keep your New Years’ resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
tbh, I don’t even remember what they were.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
No? Some family members, i think, but they are people I hardly ever see.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Not this year! Hooray!
5. Where did you travel?
This has been a travel-free year, paying the house-stuff meant not being able to go anywhere this year. Though I did mange to get away for one day to Franschhoek for the lit festival (and ice cream :D)
6. What would you like to have in 2015 that you lacked in 2014?
More compassion, for myself and those around me.
7. What would you like to have less of in 2015?
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting some shorts published in Apex and F&SF,
9. What was your biggest failure?
home schooling, probably.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Spent this year feeling very tired, for no reason.
11. Did anyone close to you get married or divorced?
Eh, I stay out of this stuff.
12. What was your favorite family adventure this year?
Dunno about favourites, but this year we took the kids (and hounds) up the mountain a lot more, and it’s been good for them and us.
13. What was the best thing you bought?
A house in my favourite place in Cape Town!
14. Where did most of your money go?
A house in my favourite place in Cape Town! 😛
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Buying my bow and rest of my archery kit. 😀
16. What song will always remind you of 2014?
manic street preachers – europa geht durch mich
17. Compared to this time last year, you are:
Hmm, about the same
No, but stronger. RAWR!
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
getting upset by stupid things.
20. How will you be spending Christmas?
With my family, hugging urbuddy.
21. Who were you friends with this year?
eh, people. This is an odd question.
22. Did you fall in love in 2013?
I’m always in love.
23. Did you lose touch or regain touch with anyone important this year?
Still tentative, but looks like my brother and I are rebuilding our relationship.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Eh, hate. There are some people who annoy me more so I stay out of their sphere, but hate is a strong word.
25. What was your favorite TV program?
Hmmm, In the Flesh and Call the Midwife are probably tied.
26. What was the best book you read?
Best is relative, I have a list of favourites I’ll talk about in another post.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
Not of this year, but the first time I’ve seen it and I loved the animation – Azur et Asmar
28. What was the best thing you ate?
Shrimp tempura (it’s been a bad year culinary-wise, i admit)
29. What made you laugh this year?
The Spawn, and the things they say/do
30. What made you cry this year?
Many things, but that’s part and parcel of dealing with depression.
31. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 37, and I climbed the mountain and then watched The Princess Bride on my projector with some good friends.
32. What was your happiest/proudest moment this year?
Probably the F&SF sale, let’s not kid. 😛
33. What was your saddest moment this year?
eh…a long series of publishing moments 😛
34. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010?
desperate and sad
35. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
BENNY LIZARD, but really I dunno, I just like how weird he looks. like a Byronic Lizard Person
36. What current event affected you the most?
So many depressing things happened this year, but because of who and where I am, few of them had any real personal effect on me, let’s be honest.
37. Whom did you miss?
My Dad. Always.